Week beginning 6th July
Happy Monday, Kestrels!
Many of us have now had our first few days back in school and we hope you've enjoyed being in the classrooms as much as we have. It's been so nice to see those of you who have been in school - but we are naturally missing all those still learning at home. It's not possible to all be together in school at the moment but we are looking forward to speaking on the phone with those at home this week.
Here is this week’s work:
- English: this is the first of two weeks using Mary Howitt's spooky poem "The Spider and the Fly". We hope you enjoy it!
- Maths: daily lessons will be uploaded with links to the White Rose Maths website. PLEASE NOTE: The website link will take you to White Rose’s current unit but we are working 2 weeks behind. Therefore, please go to the bottom of the page and find SUMMER TERM WEEK 9 w/c 22nd June. That will have the work for this week. White Rose now charge subscription fees but College Town has signed up for this. Therefore, we will download the relevant activity pages and upload them to the class pages every day.
- Maths & English CGP books: please continue to work through these as and when you can. You can use the Maths books to support the learning you’re doing on White Rose or to practise skills we have covered so far (place value, addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, line graphs, fractions). For English, please work through it at your own pace, choosing tasks you want to practise.
- Wider curriculum: there is a list of ‘topic’ tasks, which are optional. We would encourage you to have a go at some of the tasks as they may give you some variety and will help you develop skills in other subjects, too.
At the top of the class pages, you will find the four ‘wellbeing’ activities. If you wish to have a go at them, they would be really useful for keeping calm and helping you through these very uncertain times.
Don’t forget to try and send your work over to us – we would love to see it! firstname.lastname@example.org
It's nearly the summer holidays and you're nearly at the point of transition from Year 5 to Year 6...therefore, it's really important that you try and work really hard in the next couple of weeks so you can go into the summer break feeling ready for the challenges and excitement ahead.
We hope you and your families are all safe and well.
Miss H, Mrs B and Mr P
Online Learning - English wb 6.7.20
Wider Curriculum Optional Tasks - Summer 2
Online Learning - English wb 29.6.20
Online Learning - English wb 22.6.20
Online Learning - English wb 15.6.20
Online Learning - English wb 8th June 2020
English Online Learning - wb 1st June 2020
Online learning Maths - Summer 1
Wider Curriculum - Optional tasks Summer 1
English Online Learning - wb 18.5.20
English Online Learning - wb 11.5.20
English Online Learning - week beginning 4.5.2020
Online Learning - English week beginning 27.4.20 (tasks to be completed across the week)
Online Learning - English week beginning 20.4.20 (tasks to be completed across the week)
VE Day Project
Online Learning - Maths
Online Learning - Key Instant Recall Facts (KIRFs - Maths)
Online Learning - English
Bug Club Logins
Reading is crucial to your child's continued development. With this in mind, here's a reminder of how to login into Bug Club (our online reading platform).
Username: first four letters of both surname and first name all lower case; i.e. John Smith = johnsmit (if this doesn't work try johnsmit01 - if this doesn't work then please see the message below))
School Code: 3pp9
As a school we provide a number of learning platforms which will be invaluable to the children at this time. There will also be expectations set out on the website for daily learning and tasks from these sites will be included.
These websites are:
Bug Club (reading), Busy Things (KS1 whole curriculum), Times Table Rock Stars (times tables) and Numbots (addition and subtraction)
If your child has misplaced their login can you please email (we will do our best to reply within 24 hours):
Miss Startup (Bug Club): email@example.com
Mrs Farrant (Busy Things): firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr Tatum (TT Rock Star/Numbots): email@example.com
How to practise spellings
Year 5 Spelling List
Year 5 spelling rules
Welcome to Kestrel class
Kestrel Class - w/b 16th March 2020
Dear parents and carers:
Kestrel class has been very busy learning and trying other hands-on ways to understand new concepts. In Science, we have completed some very exciting experiments; we have been playing Tag Rugby with a specialist coach and we also had the visit of Rabbi Zvi to teach us about synagogues and the Jewish Shabbat.
Please have a look below for an update on what we have been doing lately.
In the last weeks in Year 5 we have been looking at an extract of 'Alice in Wonderland'. Using this text, the children have learned a variety of ways to understand the way authors have developed characters and settings. Kestrels have written and performed poems and created playscripts amongst characters in their own wonderland.
Kestrel class has just finished the book "Ice Bear" and we have now moved onto the narrative poem "The Highway Man". Through this text, children are learning a high range of new vocabulary and how to make plausible predictions and inferences based on the text.
glockenspiels to the beat of the song.
This term we have been learning about properties and changes of materials. We have seen reversible and irreversible changes through experiments and discussed how mixtures might be separated, including through filtering, sieving and evaporating. Children particularly enjoyed seeing the irreversible change created by Mentos in Coke!
Year 5 have been learning about their locality and, using a variety of sources such as photographs, Atlases and maps, they have discussed what Sandhurst is like, what it used to look like as well as identify human and physical features of the area. We look forward to going for a walk and finding historical buildings and roads. There are a lot of Victorian houses out there! Can you spot them on your neighbourhood?
This half term, we will be learning how to use shortcuts in word processing.
Children are currently building bridges and studying the different ways in which pillars, beams, trusses and arches strengthen bridges.
In PSHE, our unit of learning is about relationships. In RE we are learning about Judaism and in Spanish we are learning how to use grammatical structures to create sentences.
If you have any queries, questions, concerns or celebrations, please don't hesitate to come and speak to me at drop off or pick up times.
- PE lessons are every Tuesday. Please ensure your child has a complete PE kit for this lesson and during the whole week.